History & Mission
For over 100 years, Peoples Bank has maintained a philosophy of commitment to the customer, a belief that has allowed Peoples Bank to thrive and continue to serve the people of Northwest Indiana. It’s the same philosophy that drives Peoples now as it did in 1910 when the Bank first opened for business.
Today we call this commitment to our customers You First Banking, and it’s our pledge to always put your concerns first. It’s banking that is driven by relationships, not just transactions, so that we’re here for you as your needs continue to grow and change. Because we are a locally-owned and managed community bank, we can respond quickly and effectively with the service and solutions you need to meet your financial goals.
Headquartered in Munster, Indiana, Peoples Bank provides a wide range of consumer, business, and wealth management products along with electronic banking services, as well as a tradition of high-quality performance to the residents of Lake and Porter Counties. We operate Banking Centers in Crown Point, Dyer, East Chicago, Gary, Hammond, Highland, Hobart, Merrillville, Munster, St. John, Schererville,Valparaiso, Whiting and Winfield Indiana.
From 2007 through 2016 American Banker magazine has listed Peoples among the top 200 community banks in America based upon a key banking industry performance indicator. To fit today’s busy lifestyles, Peoples Bank offers a variety of ways you can conduct your banking activities. You can visit any of our convenient Banking Centers, go to Online Banking services, bank from your phone using our mobile app, mobile web, mobile text, or pick up the phone to access our automated account information line day or night. We make it easy for you—that’s what we call You First Banking.
Peoples Bank is committed to providing you exceptional value and an unparalleled banking experience that together enable you to achieve your financial goals.
Peoples recognizes that everyone is a customer and that YOU, the customer, are FIRST. We further recognize that our continued success and longevity depend upon our ability to carry out this mission. We have created the culture, environment, and organizational structure to identify and meet the financial goals of our customers. By doing so we will also
- (1) further enhance the quality of our customers’ total banking experience,
- (2) further develop a motivated and knowledgeable workforce,
- (3) meet the expectations of our shareholders, and
- (4) provide outstanding performance at all operational levels:
- We will develop, market, and deliver banking products and services that meet the needs of individuals, families, and small businesses at competitive prices.
- We will create a service experience that differentiates us from the competition.
- We will be a responsible leader as we actively participate in the diverse communities we serve.
- We will be proactive in supporting the growth of our communities.
- We recognize the primary resource for achieving the Bank’s mission is a team of friendly, loyal, motivated, and well-trained employees.
- We will treat employees fairly, equally, with dignity, as individuals and as an important part of the Bank.
- We will provide a friendly and enjoyable work environment that encourages optimal performance and opportunities for professional and personal development.
- We will maximize shareholder value by providing superior financial returns, producing long-term earnings growth and expanding our market share.
- We will exercise prudent risk management to ensure safe and sound business practices.
Operations and Technology
- We are committed to the secure and reliable delivery of exceptional products and services to our internal and external customers.
- We will continue to develop processes and procedures that ensure efficiency.